Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position is responsible for providing our passengers with superior customer service from inside the station to the platform. The ability to maintain a positive, good natured attitude is essential. The qualified candidate will be responsible for greeting, servicing and general comfort of each passenger. The qualified candidate must be comfortable with interacting with customers, speaking on a public address system, utilizing Amtrak information systems and technology, and proficient in general labor. This is a part-time position working Wednesday and Thursday mornings, and Friday and Saturday evenings weekly.
- Skilled in the processing of all types of Amtrak tickets and must have a thorough understanding of tariffs to properly price tickets
- Make ticket reports promptly, properly safeguard company funds properly and prepare related reports
- Qualified with the operation of Arrow, RailRes/Stars and Quik-Trak
- Be governed by all Corporate and station policies, procedures, and rules.
- Responsible for the proper care and preventative maintenance of all station equipment including, but not limited to, ticket printers, computers, and vehicles.
- Maintain appropriate levels of customer-facing information, printed or otherwise.
- Responsible for the proper care and preventative maintenance and repair of station facilities, fixtures, and grounds.
- Handle checked baggage, package express, and company materials in the station and on/off trains
- Assist customers as necessary and required.
- Responsible for the dissemination of both verbal and printed information to passengers including schedules, fares, routing, city highlights, baggage, boarding information, tours and other intermodal transportation
- Work with other employees to ensure the timely and efficient boarding of all passengers.
- Will verify passengers are properly ticketed or have the proper travel documents, and ensure compliance with baggage requirements prior to admission to station platforms.
- Must comply with the company’s uniform and grooming policy to present a positive image on behalf of Amtrak through manners, actions and personal style.
- Perform janitorial and cleaning duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 to 5 years experience in customer service
- Must be able to work under pressure, through prioritization and task orientation
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Learn policy and procedures quickly and is able to locate information with minimal guidance
- Be able to work with minimal supervision
- General experience with computer based office equipment
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Must be proficient with baggage & express operation
- Must be able to operate equipment such as a golf cart, hand carts, two-way radios
- Prior customer service experience
- Cash handling and accounting environment experience
- Experience with computer software/systems.
- Typing speed of at least 45 wpm.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Job Family/Function:Customer Service
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Customer Service || On Board and Station Services