Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Amtrak is seeking an undergraduate intern to join the Onboard Wi-Fi team to gain experience in a broad range of technical and operational disciplines. The accepted candidate will obtain valuable insights into rail and service operations and collaborate on technical proofs of concept as well as a variety of service improvement initiatives. The ideal candidate will possess a strong technical aptitude and willingness to learn. The position will present complex business and technical challenges, prompting the intern to exercise problem solving skills and out-of-box thinking. This is a great opportunity for an undergraduate student interested in the fields of Engineering, IT, Business or Communications. The position will develop both “hard” (technical) and “soft” (interpersonal) skills, requisites for success in the office environment
- Project Management
- Logistics/Asset Management
- Data Analysis, Modeling and Trending
- Passenger Experience Testing and Evaluation
- Business Processes & Procedures Definition and Documentation
- Systems Optimization
- Operations Management
- Must be actively pursuing a degree from an accredited college or university.
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Must be available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours of Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm.
- Actively enrolled at a Junior or Senior level at an accredited University
- Excellent PC skills, especially with Microsoft Office 365 software suite of applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities and willingness to learn new areas and skills
- Solid work ethic with a high degree of integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible outlook and ability to multitask
- Willingness to take on new responsibilities
- Self-motivated and ability to work both independently and in teams
- Strong attention to details and commitment to quality results
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with others
- Capable of working safely in an office and field environment
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology