Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Director Procurement (Construction) is responsible for the strategic planning, direction and management of professional staff in the development, issuance, and administration of design and construction related contracts in the support of various departments, specifically Engineering, within Amtrak. The value of contracts awarded amount to approximately $500 million in annual commitments. Examples of service procurements handled include general architectural/engineering contracts; construction contracts; design-build contracts; construction management contracts; and other miscellaneous professional and consultant contracts. This Director will also be responsible for the planning and execution of Strategic Initiatives including the redesign of business processes, business tools and documents, and project and program planning. Contract approval authority is $1 million competitive and $500,000 non-competitive.
• Executes directly and directs and oversees procurement professionals responsible who also will execute: project commercial strategy, market analysis, pricing strategy, strategic sourcing, contract creation, contract administration, performance monitoring, supplier relationship management, and related project management.
• Interacts and directs the functions of a construction procurement team and participates in cross functional activities within the group. Guides and implements process improvements, commodity expertise and provides for the best pricing, deliver, etc. in the best interests of Amtrak.
• Provides direct reports with guidance, direction, motivation training, and supports staff training to ensure cost effective acquisitions and good negotiating strategies.
• Communicates and works closely with departmental peers and executives across functional areas to build procurement influence and set procurement policies and direction.
• Leverages best practices and makes decisions based on the best interests of Amtrak.
• Proactively engages all of the relevant internal parties in cross-functional activities to achieve shared goals and metrics to achieve success.
• Manages processes to collect, cleanse, and periodically analyze spend and other data for engineering and construction related activities and other aggregated data as needed.
• Effectively creates and uses written material, oral presentations and verbal communication (both informally and in presentations) and be at ease working with business leaders and executive staff.
• Works within Ariba, SAP and other systems as developed or designated by the department or enterprise.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, construction management, business or equivalent business experience in the field of purchasing and procurement.
• Minimum 10-15 years of procurement & contract administration experience.
• Ability to develop and implement high dollar complex “master” contracts while providing guidance and direction as a multifunctional team leader.
• Ability to provide guidance to executive end users and staff in the development of strategic plans for the acquisition of goods and services for Amtrak’s operations.
• Ability to effectively promote the integration of corporate-wide and departmental strategies and operating objectives and be able to develop and implement comprehensive acquisition plans consistent with corporate programs & objectives.
• Ability to establish appropriate methods and procedures to effect efficient and accurate control of procurement commitments and schedules including cost reduction programs to accomplish system-wide savings.
• Extensive knowledge of supply chains, inventory management, ERP systems including SAP and Ariba.
• Extensive experience in purchasing/procurement, materials management, supply chain management, business, engineering, construction, architecture or similar field.
• Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to provide subordinates with guidance, direction, motivation and training to ensure cost-effective acquisitions, good negotiating strategies, value-analysis techniques, in-depth market research of market trends, and new purchasing and negotiation techniques.
• Ability to effectively manage in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities
• Has the ability to travel via a variety of modes and work irregular hours.
• Prior satisfactory job performance
• Embraces learning new tasks, both complex and simple, to maintain effectiveness in this position.
• Proficient in the Microsoft suite of tools, including, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Master’s degree in engineering, construction management, business or purchasing/procurement.
• Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM).
• Senior level commodity and market expertise and supplier management skills.
• Extensive project management experience.
• Proven record of accomplishment of improving business processes and delivering measurable results.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Supply Chain & Logistics
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Supply Chain & Logistics || Procurement