Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position is accountable for cost-effective sourcing and contracting of a complex nature requiring substantial light and heavy industrial engineering or construction subcontracting experience. Responsible for managing high-dollar contracts and contractor relationships; developing and implementing subcontracting types and strategies; performing subcontractor qualifications; negotiations, award and administration of engineering or construction contracts. Must be able to negotiate contract terms and conditions and understand technical scopes of work. The senior role requires the ability to plan and execute strategic initiatives which could include contract design, program planning, cost containment, business process redesign.
- Administers contracts which allow Amtrak to remain compliant with 49 CFR 19.40-19.48, with exception of 19.44 (b), as well as various FRA Grant requirements, FAR Part 31, and DOL Davis Bacon requirements.
- From cradle to grave, responsible for major engineering or construction procurements and subcontract processes and procedures ranging in dollar value from $1M to $250M+.
- Responsible for pre-award activities & post award administration, including chairing pre-bid and pre-construction meetings, risk analysis, negotiating terms and conditions, payment terms, liquidated damages and incentive fees. Also, performs post-award cost analysis, evaluations, and justifications for considerable change orders.
- Provides procurement for Amtrak business units, including solicitation, negotiation of contract pricing, contractual terms and conditions of purchase, and development of contracting sources.
- Serves as a vital interface to business units and management as a recognized source of expertise for the sourcing function and responsible for leading and managing procurement projects assigned.
- Oversees all activities related to the management of business units’ procurement requirements, from RFP to Notice-to-Proceed, to delivery and closeout of subcontracts.
- Provides efficiency in the purchasing process with execution at the best value for Amtrak while ensuring overall satisfaction for all parties involved.
- Recruits, maintains, and manages engineering firms or contactors with focus on total systems value while maintaining the highest code of ethics and conduct.
- Negotiates complex contracts involving variable costs and non-standard Terms and Conditions; interacts with customers both internal and external to provide a high level of collaboration.
- Prepares and administers contracts that are financially and legally sound to ensure enforcement of contractual requirements and Amtrak’s policies and procedures in concert with Federal Procurement Regulations and/or the Uniform Commercial Code whichever is applicable.
- Assists business units in finalizing Statements of Work from a commercial perspective as necessary, and manages Requests For Proposals or Invitations for Bid for procurements.
- The Lead level requires the knowledge of Construction and Design concepts and also the ability to engage with stakeholder departments to proactively plan and develop strategies for programs of work or projects.
- BS in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Business Administration or related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Must have minimum of five (5) years direct experience in construction procurement; prefer 10-20 years or minimum of 10-15 years in related procurement field or related construction experience (i.e.; construction estimating, construction engineering etc.). The Lead level requires the higher range of experience.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of engineering and construction rates and prices, multipliers, market trends, quality standards, and contracting sources (including minority firms), negotiation techniques, value analysis and other cost savings experience and methods.
- Senior level experience in subcontracts procurement or related fields.
- Proven track record of efficient business processes and delivering measurable results.
- Effectively works under a matrix management structure.
- Ability to analyze strategic options and their direct potentials and indirect impact on the organization.
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively with all levels of the company, and engineering firms, contractors, subcontractors and lead cross-functional teams.
- Good prior job performance.
- The Lead level requires demonstrated skills in supplier relationship management and in developing and maintaining appropriate and productive relationships with strategic or key suppliers.
- Strong oral and written skills sufficient to prepare, negotiate and review contracts, bids, proposals and agreements for legal terms/conditions and acceptability of items to specifications. The Lead level also requires demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with Sr leadership and executive level people within and outside of the company.
- Must be proficient in the use of the Microsoft suite of tools including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Must be hard working and self-starter with initiative, good analytical skills and common sense to problem solving.
- Must demonstrate ability to learn new tasks, both complex and simple, as well as the ability to prioritize these tasks in order to maintain effectiveness in position.
- Must be detailed oriented and disciplined to ensure project completion and effective follow-through.
- Must possess the ability to work effectively and efficiently within the integrated Ariba, SAP and other procurement systems.
- Works in a dynamic environment with frequently changing priorities.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) & engineering degree.
- High level of experience in construction procurement, market expertise and extensive contactor management skills.
- Extensive project procurement management experience.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Supply Chain & Logistics
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Supply Chain & Logistics || Procurement