Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Consistently and safely operates locomotives and trains in compliance with federal regulations and corporate policies. Operates equipment during varying work hours within a 24/7 transportation environment maintaining alertness, situational awareness and vigilance. Thinks and functions independently and utilizes clear and effective verbal communication skills in interaction with fellow crew members and other personnel responsible for safe and efficient train movement.
- Some work experience demonstrating the ability to maintain alertness, awareness and vigilance, as well as clear, effective verbal communication skills in the performance of work. Satisfactory attendance and safe work record. Prior railroad operating experience and work history that demonstrates ability to adapt to variable and often changing work hours preferred.
- Although a driver’s license is not required, applicants with a driver’s license must provide a certified copy of motor vehicle driving record from the chief of the state driver’s licensing agency in which the applicant was last issued a license and any license(s) issued or reissued from other state(s) within the preceding 60 months. Motor vehicle records must be void of any drug and alcohol violations within the previous 36 months. 2. Must have a motor vehicle driving record void of any convictions or state action canceling, revoking, suspending or denying a driver’s license for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of or impaired by alcohol or a controlled substance within the last 36 months or a record of refusal to undergo such testing as required by state law within the last 36 months. 3. Must sign a release of records authorizing all previous railroad employers to provide Amtrak with background information, if applicable. In accordance with FRA regulations, previous railroad
- service records must be void of any drug and alcohol violations within the previous 60 months.
- If selected, incumbent will be required to successfully complete Engineer Training as follows: 8-10 weeks classroom and field work while headquartered at Amtrak’s Training Center in Wilmington, DE; followed by extensive qualifying and on-the-job training associated with the Crew Base for which hired; paid at the student training rate until incumbent achieves certification as a Class 1 Train Service Engineer.
- Individuals currently certified as Class 1 Train Service Engineers are paid at the rate determined by the agreement schedule.
- Incumbents are subject to periodic medical examinations including random drug and alcohol screenings.
Some college or vocational training.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Candidates who apply to this posting may be contacted now or at a later date when a position becomes available.
Travel Requirements:Up to 100%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation || Locomotive Engineers