Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Lead Technical Trainer - Conductor Training & Development, under the guidance of the Senior Manager Training & Development, has the responsibility for planning, monitoring, developing and delivering initial training for all New Hire Assistant Conductors from the date of hire through certification as a Passenger Conductor. Areas of training include Safety, Company Policies, Mechanical, Conductor Certification (49 CFR Part 242), Operating Practices (49 CFR Parts 218, 219, 220, and 228), Air Brake and Train Handling Rules (49 CFR Part 238), Emergency Preparedness (49 CFR Part 239). The position executes the New Hire Assistant Conductor training program to ensure employees receive proper safety, customer service, equipment, rules and physical characteristics training for operation over Amtrak Regions or contract carrier properties. Utilizing acquired knowledge and skills, the Lead Technical Trainer helps ensure that the instructional curriculum is designed and updated to meet all mandated standards. This position is required to successfully plan and execute all instructional sessions in order to provide each operating employee with a full understanding and knowledge to comply with company, federal and state rules and regulations governing railroad operations. The Lead Technical Trainer - Conductor Training & Development implements the standardized instructional programs associated with operating practices in order to prepare operations employees to perform their duties in a safe manner adhering to all company and regulatory requirements. The employees affected include those in a new hire status and post-probation, up to certification as a Passenger Conductor. The position participates in a proactive role to aid in the prevention of train accidents, employee and passenger injuries, avoiding FRA citations and fines, and improving customer service. The Lead Technical Trainer provides input into the development of operating craft employee instructional programs and provides guidance and technical advice to alinterested parties.
• Supports the operating divisions by developing and delivering training to New Hire Assistant Conductors according to established instructional standards, programs and methods. Provides guidance and interpretation of all regulatory rules.
• Facilitates all activities related to the delivery of training - arrangement and preparation of materials, classrooms, and equipment, as well as administrative requirements. Organizes and schedules classes, procures materials, and coordinates and communicates with divisions to ensure participation.
• Functions as a project leader and subject matter expert in the development of various content areas for training programs.
• Provides leadership and supervision in the training and performance of training employees, network instructors and other temporary instructional staff.
• Is responsible for the efficient and accurate management of all training records and the enrollment process of the training program. Enters trainee personal and test data into Amtrak's ELMP, SPARTN, and other systems.
• Provides subject matter expertise and effectively delivers technical skills training on passenger and non-passenger equipment, Air Brake and Train Handling Rules and Instructions (AMT-3), and Emergency Preparedness (49 CFR Part 239), operating rules and "soft skill" areas such as customer service, leadership, and communications to ensure clear understanding and consistent application of the instructions.
• Provides guidance and direction to new employees regarding organizational and operational processes. Supervises New Hire Assistant Conductors and ensures students comply with polices and have all the necessary handouts and required personal protective equipment.
• Collaborates with senior officials throughout the system in all operating departments to ensure compliance with local, state and federal requirements.
• Participates in operational audits. Assists in the investigation of train accidents and incidents to determine the root cause. Analyzes major operating rule violations and formulates modified directives to prevent future violations. The position is part of a team that responds on site to assist in train accident investigations to determine causal factors to adequately respond to regulatory agency inquiries, and assists in collecting and interpreting relevant data, such as locomotive event recorder data, rules in effect and employee service and discipline records. Participates in the analysis of safety/operational activities (root cause analysis).
• Maintains all required qualifications and certifications in order to deliver training according to state and federal requirements.
• Provides necessary analytical training data as required and performs duties as necessary to meet the departmental goals and objectives.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in education, instructional design, human resources or a related field, or an equivalent combination of work experience, training, and education.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Amtrak’s passenger and non-passenger equipment, Air Brake and Train Handling Rules and Instructions, Operating Rules, Safety Rules and CFR Part 242 regulations.
• Demonstrated experience in the development and delivery of a comprehensive training and testing program with proven results.
• Currently a qualified Conductor in accordance with 49 CFR Part 242.
• Strong organization, administrative, planning, writing, communication and platform skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of applicable Amtrak, contract carrier, and other regulatory agencies, rules and regulations associated with the position.
• Demonstrated drive, ambition, and leadership ability.
• Ability to travel 20-50% of the time.
• Ability and willingness to work various shifts.
• Master’s degree in education, instructional design, human resources or a related field, or an equivalent combination of work experience, training, and education.
• Experience managing Train service personnel.
• Experience teaching or facilitating workshops.
• Knowledge of Amtrak's business, operation and financial system.
• Transportation industry experience.
• Business analysis, analytical support, and budgeting experience.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation || Corporate