Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Plans and manages the Mid-Atlantic South Division I&C projects, construction and maintenance projects that support the Amtrak business plan.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates project policy to ensure that projects and associated work are conducted efficiently and economically.
- Responsible for project construction and coordination of force account labor with outside contractors and internal departments.
- Assumes the role of Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) on all third party contracts.
- Responsible for all aspects of project management including scope, schedule, and budget at the division level.
- Manages the planning, initiation, start-up, construction, inspection and closeout of Capital Construction Projects performed by Amtrak and contract employees on Amtrak property.
- Assumes supervisory responsibilities in a matrix organization for projects that do not fall within the confines of the functional organization.
- Provides site-specific technical expertise to ensure that all work performed meets Amtrak and industry guidelines and standards.
- Maintains and updates a scheduling and manpower database.
- Coordinates multi-disciplinary participation for Capital Construction Projects.
- Monitors project progress and implements effective controls to maintain project scope, schedule and budget.
- Coordinates the efficient use of labor, material, equipment, and other resources.
- Resolves special Engineering issues, safety issues, work procedures, policies and resource requirements as required across multiple departments.
- Represents the Engineering Department during meetings/negotiations with other Amtrak departments, other railroads, commuter agencies, contractors and other agencies.
- Notifies engineering management of impending constructability issues and recommends possible solution.
- Monitors all correspondence logs, including general correspondence with the contractors, designers, internal Amtrak personnel, regulatory agencies and private interest groups.
- Reports all problems or unusual occurrences that may affect on-time performance to the Division Engineer immediately.
- Must have a Bachelors degree in engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Knowledge of FRA regulation, NORAC, AMT2, RWP, MW 1000, AMT 23 / 27. Prior satisfactory job performance is required.
- Demonstrated experience and thorough knowledge of train operation, railroad maintenance and construction methods.
- Demonstrated experience in the Principles of Project Management
- Demonstrated skill using PC-based work processing, spreadsheet and presentation software (e.g., Word, Excel, Power Point) sufficient to prepare effective business analysis and presentations.
- Demonstrated experience in working with multiple team members.
- Proven ability in the exercising of considerable judgment and initiative.
- Some experience in Planning/Scheduling, Administration and Contracts Management.
- Some experience in Project Management.
- Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing within and outside of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience in Planning/Scheduling, Administration and Contracts management
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex programs in an operating environment.
- Demonstrated experience with Project Management & Estimating software systems.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Professional certification in engineering, project management or related field is preferred
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering